I'm Responsible for My Choices
1) Which part of this sermon spoke to you most?
2) On the topic of responsibility, can you remember at what age you first lived on your own and paid your own bills? Please share a little about it.
Getting Into the Bible
In his sermon, Blaine made the point that God will hold each of us accountable for our own selves. This week, we'll study a few passages about taking responsibility.
1. Please read Ezekiel 18:1-4
A. What does this passage have to say about personal responsibility?
B. Blaine made the point that we aren't accountable for our circumstances, but rather for our choices. This includes our childhood circumstances. Why do you think we as people so often blame our upbringing for our problems?
2. Please read Ezekiel 18:25-32
A. God makes the point in this passage that, while accountability isn't always pleasant, it is fair. Why then might people say that God's ways aren't fair?
B. What can we learn from this passage about God's feelings towards punishment?
3. Blaine made the point that faith is needed to see beyond our circumstances. On this point, please read 2 Corinthians 5:6-10
A. Faith is "confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see" (Heb.11:1). Why would faith help us make good choices?
B. How do you feel hearing that we will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ?
1. How can you apply the things we've studied this week?
2. Are there things in your life that you need to take responsibility for that you aren't? If you're comfortable, please share.
3. Are there areas in your life where you need more faith? Please share and pray together as a group.