Honor the Call
Getting to Know You
1. What was your favorite part of Sunday’s teaching? Were there any parts you found challenging in any way? If you’re comfortable, please share.
2. Just for fun, is there a nickname that you like to be called? Is there one you don’t like?
3. Sean mentioned that the great commission has great value. Nonetheless, we can struggle to honor it. Think through what it means for you to honor the great commission and make lists of things that encourage you to honor it and things that discourage you from honoring it.
Encouraging things Discouraging things
Getting into the Bible
1. Our call from the beginning was to make the world flourish. The Great Commission to make disciples is simply the fulfillment of this calling. We may disregard our calling and spend our energies on selfish pursuits, but if we do we’ll never truly be satisfied. What do you see in the following passages that remind us of our calling to make the world flourish?
Proverbs 13:4 A sluggard's appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
Proverbs 14:23-24 All hard work brings profit, but mere talk only leads to poverty 24 The wealth of the wise is their crown; but the folly of fools yields only folly.
Proverbs 28:19 Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies will have their fill of poverty.
What are some habits you or someone you know has used to be successful?
2. Sean mentioned that the world won’t naturally flourish because it is in bondage to decay. It is cursed by sin every bit as much as we are. It’s up to us, the children of God, to bring healing through hard work, and especially through sharing the gospel of God’s love. This is our calling. How do you see this principle playing out in Acts 4:32-35?
How could your social circle (e.g. family, work, school) be healed by knowing Jesus?
What are some things you or someone you know has done to share about Jesus “powerfully” (v.33).
1. Looking back at this week’s sermon and study guide, is there anything you want to do to better honor your calling?
2. Is there anything hindering you from honoring your calling?