Better than Money
Study Guide for "Better than Money"
1. What did you find encouraging, challenging, or unsettling about Sunday's teaching?
2. Luke taught that money is a nice thing to have, but it can be used to gain even greater things. Of course, it's hard enough just getting money! Make a list of 3-5 things you have to give up regularly to earn your money. Now make a list of 3-5 greater things that are worth trading your money to gain.
Things I give up for money Things for which I give up money
1. Money is a tool for producing greater things than money. What do you see in each of the following passages that speaks to this truth?
Luke 12:33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.
Acts 20:35 The Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
Proverbs 11:26 People curse those who keep all the grain, but they bless the one who is willing to sell it.
What are some ways that you or someone you know has effectively used their money to benefit others?
2. Luke made the point that giving your wealth gives greater access to God. This doesn't mean you can purchase salvation! Neither does it mean the rich have an advantage with God. Rather, when you give to God the best of whatever it is you have that is, your wealth, then you will find it easier to draw near to Him. You will find more peace in His presence. How do you see this principle come to life in Luke 19:1-10?
Compare and contrast what Jesus gave to Zaccheus versus what Zaccheus gave to Jesus.
Bringing it Home
1. Is there anything hindering you from spending your money to serve others and/or to please God? If you're comfortable, please share.
2. With Special Missions approaching June 26th, it can be easy to stress out! Is there any help you might need from your Family Group in planning or in prayer? Please share.
3. Please take prayer requests and pray together as a group.