Trust Your Father
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
1. This is the first week of summer vacation for many of us. But whether you’re on vacation or not, the summer heat affects everyone! Are you more a hot weather kind of person or a cold weather? If you had to live in the extremes—that is, blazing heat or freezing cold, which would you prefer?
2. On Sunday, Dean reminded us that it’s challenging to trust God! Although God is good to us all the time, we can easily forget it. Three possible reasons we forget His goodness are 1) God’s timing is not our timing, 2) Life hurts, and 3) We believe the lies of Satan. Can you think of 1 or 2 examples from your own life for each of these things that might have made it hard to trust God?
God’s timing Life hurts Satan’s lies
1. We’re so fortunate to have a God that is not only good to us, but who works tirelessly to remind us that He’s good. Here are a few passages that show God’s efforts to prove His goodness. Please read them and take note of the evidence for God’s kindness.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.
Have you or someone you’ve known ever had to prove their love? Who needed the proof? What was done to demonstrate the love? If you’re comfortable, please share with the group.
2. Like God, we sometimes have to prove our love! Hopefully, the message is received and the people we love know that we love them. God certainly hopes that we will get the message that He loves us! He’s proven it time and time again. It’s up to us to believe and to stop doubting. How does Thomas deal with his doubt and overcome it in John 20:24-29?
How did Jesus deal with Thomas’s doubt? Is there any encouragement you gain from this passage or any promises you can claim?
BRINGING IT HOME
1. How can you take the things you’ve learned this week and put them into practice?
2. Is there anyone in your life that needs a reminder that God loves them? Is there any way you could take that message to them? Please share.